The North Cottesloe Primary School Board’s role is to provide strategic guidance and monitoring of the school’s performance. It supports the school in increasing effective autonomy and flexibility to further improve the quality of the whole school program. The Board is integral in formulating and managing the school’s Business Plan and related budget, review of student performance and matters of school policy.
Members are elected for a maximum of 3 years and are elected from the staff, parent body, community and local business. The School Board operates separately to the P&C. The School Board meets at least twice a term. Additional meetings may be called as required. Meeting dates are advertised in the Term Planner and School Newsletter.
The School Board does:
• take part in:
a) establishing and reviewing, the school’s objectives, priorities and general policy directions;
b) the planning of financial arrangements necessary to fund those objectives, priorities and directions;
c) evaluating the school’s performance in achieving them; and
d) formulating codes of conduct for students at the school;
• determine in consultation with students, their parents and staff a dress code for students when they are attending or representing the school;
• promote the school in the community;
a) charges and contributions for the provision of certain materials, services and facilities
b) extra cost optional components of educational programmes;
c) items to be supplied by a student for use in an educational programme; and
d) any agreements or arrangements for advertising or sponsorship in relation to the school;
• provide advice to the principal of the school on:
a) a general policy concerning the use in school activities of prayers, songs and material based on religious, spiritual or moral values being used in a school activity as part of religious education; and
b) the implementation of special religious education under section 69(2) of the School Education Act;
• with the approval of the Minister or the Director General, as the Minister’s delegate, take part in the selection of, but not the appointment of, the school principal or any other member of the teaching staff.
The Board doesn’t:
• have a role in day-to-day school management. This is the responsibility of the Principal and involves educational leadership, and the effective day-to-day administration, supervision, control of the school and its staff.
• discuss individual issues relating to teachers, staff or parents – these are management roles and therefore the responsibility of the Principal
• represent specific interest groups or permit special interests to dominate the agenda of the Board
• intervene in the educational instruction of students
• performance manage the Principal or any other staff member.
Terms of Reference NCPS School Board
Education Department Board Information Pack
Contacting the Board:
Board members welcome your input and feedback and represent the interests of their community. Board members can only deal with matters falling within their role, and collectively.
If you have a matter to bring to the attention of the Board, please contact the Board Chair, Anna Neuling. If you are unsure if a matter should be raised with the School Board please contact the Principal, Doug Cook.
Anna Neuling is an executive director of an ASX listed exploration company and has a background in finance, commercial, legal and corporate governance. She has a child in year 4 and a child starting kindy in 2021
Douglas Cook is the school principal and joined the North Cottesloe community in June 2019. He has been a principal for 20 years and, prior to joining our staff, worked as a Principal Advisor.
Stuart Owen is a Director at Macquarie Capital and has 20 years of finance, corporate, legal and commercial experience. Stuart has 3 children at the school in Years 5, 3 and Pre-primary.
Nicole de la Motte is an architect with her own practice. With 20 years’ experience, she hopes to assist the school community in its strategic planning with a focus on built form and learning environments. She has a child in year 2 and pre-primary.
Stuart Buckland is a consultant in technical projects, asset governance and business process development. Following a career as an RAAF officer, his corporate background has included project management, communications technology and systems engineering. Stuart’s children have attended the school since pre-primary and are now in Year 1 and Year 3.
Alex is an Economic Consultant with a background in environmental engineering and competition economics. He has two children in the upper years at North Cottesloe Primary.
Meg Klaver has worked as the Deputy Principal at the school since August 2018. She manages a range of portfolios including the curriculum areas of Technology, Science and Maths.
Jeanette Williams is a senior school teacher at NCPS who currently teachers a year 5/6 class. She is a member of the NCPS Literacy Committee, the NCPS Sustainability Committee and the NCPS Staff Wellness Committee. This is Jeanette’s 4th year at NCPS.
Natalie Campbell has been an Early Childhood teacher at NCPS since 2010. She has a special interest in evidenced based literacy instruction and best practice in early years settings.
- 22nd feb 2018 School Board Minutes
- School Board minutes 2nd August 2018
- School Board minutes 5th April 2018
- School Board minutes 13th September 2018
- School Board minutes 15th March 2018 (draft 2)
- School Board minutes 21st June 2018
- School Board minutes 23rd August 2018 (2)
- School Board minutes 24th May 2018
- School Board minutes 25 October 2018
- School Board minutes 29th November 2018